I needed a new grow out cage. Leaving the baby bunnies with their mothers for 16 weeks meant that I was only getting two litters per year from each doe.
My rabbits would be pregnant for a month, each raised her kits for four months until they reached the weight, size and coloring I liked for butchering, then each doe rested for a month before re-breeding. It wasn’t very economical for us, especially when rabbits are supposed to be our main source of protein. Rabbits can out produce cattle, goats and chickens for meat in a year on much less feed pound for pound. But I was falling short.
I decided to take a trip out to Tractor Supply to pick up a 30″x30″ rabbit cage for my french angora doe that is due to kindle in 2 weeks. I wanted to test one out and see how I liked it. I like that the cages are stackable, but they seem pretty flimsy to me. I don’t think a cage like they sell at the store is dog or coyote-proof, and I know for a fact they aren’t Pip-proof, as she proved today when she told me “the bunny cage won’t close…”. I know I left the cage latched, and Roseberry is smart, but she’s not THAT smart.
Lobster traps are predator and Pip-proof, but they are heavy and not as tall as I’d like. I want the bunnies to be able to sit up on their haunches. The obvious solution is to make better cages, but until the house and barn are done that just isn’t an option right now.
So I took two defunct lobster traps that wouldn’t make one whole lobster trap on their best day, cut them apart, patched the holes and turned them into one double wide lobster trap cage for our grow outs to get weaned in. Now I can wean them at 8 weeks, and rebreed their mothers sooner.
All it cost me was some scraped knuckles, a few hours of my time, and some hog rings to attached the two traps together. It’s not the most beautiful thing I’ve ever made, but it is undoubtedly the most practical thing I’ve made in a long time.
Yay! Food security!